Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Chapter 37: Let's Getchya Some Chowda

From Providence, I was planning to ride Route 1 all the way to Lexington, MA where we were staying with Amy, Stan, and Jonie, Zack's cousins. However, I happened to be 12 miles outside of Lexington when I realized it was only 1pm. So I rode west into Boston adding an extra 12 miles to the trip, making it a 60 mile day. When we arrived we got cleaned up and went out for Indian (which I had been craving since NY).

Boston has so many bike routes through the city and around the suburbs so I rode the Minuteman Bikeway, a 10 mile paved railtrail running from Bedford to Alewife, to a breakfast joint called The Friendly Toast, recommended by Colleen. This place was rad, with very eccentric decor, pancakes the size of vinyl records, and staff with more tattoos than me (I realize that's hard for some of you to imagine).

While in Jersey, my dad brought me my old Minolta SLR which still shoots film (also hard for some of you to imagine), so my second mission was to find a place that still does one hour photo processing. After many calls and many people who had no idea what I was referring to I finally found a CVS who was still equipped to do it. I dropped off a roll and headed down the SW Corridor path, which runs from the South End for 5 miles ending in Jamaica Plain, to the Samuel Adams Brewery.

Now I was never a big fan of the famous Boston Lager but I heard they have one of my favorite things in this entire world: FREE BEER! I also got quite the education from Jameson, my super awesome tour guide. I gained new knowledge of how to properly drink a Boston Lager, glassware and all, and have since developed a wonderful taste for the stuff. Where I would have normally reached for a Yuengling in the past I would now most definitely drink a Boston Lager. I had been drinking it wrong this entire time. I left with a Sam Adams sample glass and special instructions to obtain a free Sam Adams pint glass (I'll get to that in a minute) to make sure that never happens again.

When Jim Koch, founder of Sam Adams, would travel to Germany, Belgium, and Holland (just to name a few) he noticed that they serve certain beers in certain glassware. If they did not have the proper glassware for the beer you ordered then they would not serve you that beer. So Jim thought since he has the number one beer in America (many times over) it should have its own glass. He then went over to Cambridge, where they keep the wicked smaht people, to find a company who could make him a glass. He found one (I don't remember the name) who made wine glasses, champagne flutes, etc, but never a beer glass. So they said "Yea we'll make you a glass but we don't really know what your beer's like. So Jim gave them a keg of Boston Lager every week until they finished, and since they're wicked smaht, two years later they produced the Sam Adams Boston Lager glass.

Now back to my special instructions which were to board a trolley going to Doyle's, the first place to ever carry Samuel Adams, one of the oldest bars in the country (over 130 years old), and the site of many famous films including Mystic River. This trolley was no ordinary one. This was the party bus of all trolley's, blasting "Oh What a Night" with a disco ball and little l.e.d. flashy lights all over the place. Every time you say Doyle's you gotta do the fist pump (you'll see later). It was the hippest trolley ever!

Doyle's carries two very rare Sam Adams beers on draught. One being the Brick Red, which you cannot find outside Boston and another, even more rare, called 26.2 Boston Brew. This beer is only available during the Boston Marathon season (a mere weeks) and only available at pubs and bars along the marathon's route. Doyle's is the only exception to that rule being Samuel Adam's first account. It is brewed with coriander, and the water used in the brewing process contains Kosher Sea Salt. It is unfiltered, crisp and clean with a mineral after taste for runners, endurance sport enthusiasts, and spectators alike. Of course my favorite beer is the one that is only available for one month out of the year and in only one city in the country.

Since the tragedy all proceeds from the 26.2 will go to the victims affected.

I enjoyed my Brick Red and 26 with a big bowl of amazing New England Clam Chowder, which I will never consume anywhere else again because it just doesn't live up to the real thing.

On my way out of Boston, my phone had died making it difficult for me to navigate my way back to the Minuteman Bikeway. As I was crossing the river on Massachusetts Ave. I had stopped to take a photo when a cyclist passed me making the sound effect of a race car as it passes you. I instantly knew he was cool. I caught up to him, asked him for directions, and he informed me he was also going to Lexington. How convenient! Jeff and I rode together as the sun set over Boston through the Minuteman Bikeway to Lexington. We had a great ride accompanied by wonderful conversation. As we passed through Porter Square Jeff informed me that during the 1800's farmers from New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine would bring their cattle into the square to be sold and butchered and hence the name Porter Steak was born. Unfortunately we were unable to exchange information as it was getting dark and dinners were ready and waiting so Jeff if you ever see this...Thanks so much for riding with me!

My day was so fabulous that I did it all over again, from start to finish, including the film (because how often do you find a one hour photo these days). After I raved over The Friendly Toast and Sam Adams to Zack, he really wanted to go, and I will take free beer any day, any time, any where.

While in Lexington Amy, Stan, and Jonie made us two wonderful traditional Jewish dinners in their Kosher house. We had brisket with knish, and for dessert halava, a sugary sesame paste treat with some chocolate. The second night was white fish (the whole fish), lox, tomatoes, bagels and cream cheese. I really enjoyed learning about being Kosher and spending time with Zack's extended family. Thank you so much Amy, Stan, and Jonie for showing us a wonderful time!



Tasty Rhode Island Beer


Zack and Adama playing djembe at Shahla's in Rhode Island


Patriot's Stadium I passed on Route 1


There existed no signs welcoming me in or out of Massachusetts. So this will have to do. Those Massholes!


Looking at Cambridge from Mass Ave.


Boston Police Officers who were so kind to watch my bike when I couldn't hold my pee any longer and I did not want to leave it unlocked and unattended


The biggest cup of coffee I've ever been served at a restaurant, part of the charm of The Friendly Toast




MIT where the wicked smaht people are


Looking at Boston from Mass Ave.


Dad, Aunt Jacki, and Uncle Mike close your eyes, you may go blind looking at this photo


My awesome free sample glass filled with awesome free beer


Party Trolley (notice the disco ball up top)


Doyle's fist pump




My awesome free lager glass filled with awesome (not free) beer. The amount it cost to drink this beer was donated to people who are very much in need so I happily paid for it. Best beer I ever bought in more ways than one.


You know what this is and your jealous


Doyle's has 9 Sam Adams beers on tap, Sam Adams brewery has four


The friendly staff at The Friendly Toast


I was drawn to this bike post for obvious reasons, and I agree with this sticker




Round two at the brewery

No comments:

Post a Comment