Saturday, April 20, 2013

Chapter 33: Lon Gisland

We got off the train at the Merrick station 15 miles outside NYC. It was hard to get motivated after being pampered for four days, but I sucked it up and managed to get back in the saddle.

The shoulders of the more suburban areas of Long Island are completely littered with glass and debris, a tire's worst nightmare. I had made it so far without a flat and Long Island was hell bent on stopping me in my tracks (another great pun).

So it was almost 5pm and we still faced 30 miles to Rudy's house, our warm showers host in Mastic Beach. We made it at 8:30, set up camp, showered, ate some pizza, had some conversation and went to sleep.

We woke up in the rain and headed immediately for breakfast at a local Diner. While we were eating the weather had cleared. I had taken a beautiful route through Fire Island and East Hampton, where there was a beached whale and a gentleman who told me I was going the wrong way to Maine. I biked up passed South Hampton to North Sea and then through Noyac. On my way the "wrong direction" guy had caught up with me when I stopped to eat an apple. His name is Doug and he is a photojournalist who was very interested in my story. He asked lots of questions, took a bunch of notes, and was constantly snapping photos while we spoke. I rode into North Haven, then south and 45 miles later, after a beautiful riding day, we were at Zack's Aunt's house in Sag Harbor where Goldie greeted me with a beautiful chain of golden dandelions!



Damn Screw


























Chain of Dandelions


AFTER and Tasso hanging out with friends


Goldie and Tahnie with her doll that she made!

No comments:

Post a Comment