Friday, April 5, 2013

Chapter 28: Food For Thought

Now that I am officially one month in and experienced, I am going to pass on to you my new found "touring" knowledge for those that are fortunate enough to put it to good use. So here it goes:

1. Health. Staying healthy on the bike can be quite difficult to manage one would think. However, Zack and I have been performing amazingly! It's cold (if you haven't already noticed) so keeping fresh food is easier at the moment. Cooking is very important and one would be surprised at how creative the meals can get. We love our chickpea/tomato stew with garlic, carrots, zucchini, and green chilies. We boil eggs every morning along with a banana and the occasional oatmeal. Hard boiled eggs make a wonderful mid-day snack on the bike and we love to put them in a spinach salad with avocado, salmon, oil and vinegar for dinner. Eating fresh foods also allows us to compost almost all of our waste! So now not only are we environmentally friendly by riding our bicycles from one point to the next, but we are also heavily maintaining our trash output, generating our own sources of power by pedaling with a dynamo hub, harvesting the energy of the sun, and not using the luxuries of power in general (i.e. stove, microwave, TV, air conditioning, heat, light, etc.) and Yes... we are the coolest hippies ever! However, the further north we go the more calories we are burning, and in turn the more "bad carbs/fat" foods we are seeking (OK so we have a FEW flaws) And when we can't be healthy, there's always Healthforce Vitamineral Green and Earth to give us those essential nutrients! Which brings me to my next point...

2. Budget. Mainly in the form of eating out, bike modifications/repairs, and gear (enter: REI that money sucking monster that I love so much) My motto: Do It! I'll admit it's not the best one around and certainly not necessarily in my savings' best interest but I worked hard, then saved hard, and as long as I can manage appropriately I'll end up in Maine with some to spare and start earning wages once again. I'll have more to say on this when I go on a longer trip but for now I have to try to limit the eating out and new gear, which is the most important thing. It is soooo tough! I constantly find myself saying, "Well, I don't want to spend $15 on a museum because I'd rather have the $15 in calories," which has done me pretty well so far. It's Sadie (she thinks I'm a money tree) who is breaking the bank, forcing me to buy not one, not two, but three racks, and go on obscene expenditures to places like REI so she looks/feels better. Hopefully, after I sell most of the old gear since upgrading to more functional items, I will make back some of the money I have put out. Gotta love Ebay, a gear fanatic's best friend for sure!

3. Weight. (Pause for dramatic effect) weight, weight, weight. Don't ever stop getting rid of your shit. When you have to haul around 100 pounds of gear with your body it puts possessions into a whole other perspective. Sadie and I have undergone such dramatic changes over the last month. You have to adapt and adjust so that you can be comfortable during this commonly uncomfortable endeavor. The "Courtney droppings" will continue on, well into New Jersey, where I look forward to actually acquiring a few things that I need and trading in some for more efficient gear. I also look forward to the day when I won't have to constantly feel the need to adjust my setup. We'll see if that day ever comes.

1 comment: