Saturday, April 20, 2013

Chapter 34: Escape to the Mainland

On my way to Sag Harbor I discovered that the Block Island Ferry did not begin running until May. We rerouted to take the south ferry to Shelter Island, the north ferry to Greenport, and then the Orient Point Ferry to New London, Connecticut, a state we did not plan on passing through.

In Greenport, I ordered a hot pastrami sandwich with melted cheese, coleslaw, and Russian dressing at Sterlington Deli from Freddie who was so much fun! While I ate, I met Joe, who had done some touring in Germany. A very cute and quiet boy that I could not get out of my head for the rest of the ride. I was in such a hurry to catch the next ferry that I didn't exchange information with him or think to ask if he wanted to ride with me. I would have greatly enjoyed his company during the windy 9 mile stretch to Orient Point. Maybe we will meet around some day.

I made the ferry with four minutes to spare. Roy, who worked on the boat, sat with me most of the hour long ride discussing great route options and advising me on good camping spots throughout Rhode Island. We took his advice which was supreme riding and camping conditions! Thanks Roy!

I hung out in New London, CT at a very down to earth coffee shop, Muddy Waters Cafe, where Barry and Susan were so accommodating. They let me hang out for an extra half hour after closing while I charged my phone and blogged for a bit while I enjoyed coffee cake and a Red Eye. Before I left Susan gave me a banana and two granola bars for the remaining 15 miles of the day. Thank you so much to you both! That Oskri Cashew Bar was incredibly delicious! I am dying to find more of those!

We stealth camped at Barn Island Wildlife Refuge, one of Roy's suggestions. The fog had really settled in over night and lingered on into the morning which made the ride pretty interesting. It was very scenic through the coast of Rhode Island.

After a 65 mile day I arrived at Shahla's house, our Warm Showers host in Providence. She is so well traveled and cultured and it was such a pleasure talking with her about her experiences. Her friend Sidy stopped by for one of her amazing lates. He is a Master Percussionist from Mali, West Africa. He took us all to The Spot to listen to some live music, a super fierce jam band, and worked some social magic to comp our cover. I hadn't been out like that in a long time and it was so much fun! Shahla graciously let us stay an extra day to get some work done while the Boston craziness blows over a little (we will be biking the 47 miles to Lexington tomorrow). We cooked dinner while babysitting Adama, Sidy's son, and all enjoyed a fabulous meal and wine together. Shahla made a delicious lamb, okra, and spinach dish, a combination of an Iranian and Malian recipe, sooo tasty!

My thoughts and prayers go out to those affected by the Boston bombing. I'm sad to be visiting such a wonderful city at such an awful time.







Freddie






I've started getting my state line photos as I'm leaving the state. I had just enough time to get this shot before boarding the ferry to CT.






Barry and Susan








I turned around to get the CT state line photo after crossing into RI


...and 5 minutes later






Breakfast at Shahla's and her delicious lates!

No comments:

Post a Comment