Thursday, March 21, 2013

Chapter 13: OBXtreme... "It's Clobber'in Time"

Zack and I met up with Sam, from San Diego and Naomi, from Vancouver, in Jacksonville, NC mid-morning on Friday and killed 75 miles that day! Naomi and I decided to go off the maps for about 20 miles to see beautiful Beaufort while the boys stuck with the ACA and added a few extra miles to their day. We met up at about 7:30 to set up camp behind a Baptist Church thanks to a very hospitable Pastor who let us use the kitchen and bathroom facilities before bed.

We left by 6 the next morning and planned to knock out 30 miles to make the 11am Cedar Island Ferry. With sweet tailwinds and warm weather most of the Outer Banks was also on the agenda. Ocracoke and Hatteras Islands were full of surf shops, stickers, beautiful people, beautiful oysters at Howard's Pub & Raw Bar, incredible scenery, and a few Atlantic Ocean swims thrown in the mix! I really could not have asked for a better day!

That was until night quickly approached us around Rodanthe with 25 miles still to go to Nags Head. The idea (which turned out to be a really good one in retrospect) was to take full advantage of the tail wind  and complete most of the Outer Banks because the next day was 10 degrees colder with 25mph North winds. But as day quickly turned to night, my body started screaming at me, my lights were not functional enough for me to see the roads, and I had a hard time enjoying the ride. Thankfully a man in a truck pulled over as I was about to push my bike up a very dangerous bridge and scooped us up for the last 10 miles to Nags Head!

Our reward: A shower, beer & pizza, a hotel bed, and a pat on the back for my first 100 mile day!

I'm Awesome!

Meet Naomi and Sam


AFTER in Beaufort, NC



Base Camp outside Beaufort under the Stars

Saturday Morning Ride/Snack




Cedar Island National Wildlife Refuge

El Toro, Nancy, Sadie, & Yoji
on the Cedar Island Ferry

Sam's Hungry Face





Wheelie Fun... Hahaha

Sam's "I'm murdering this Burger" Face

They didn't stand a chance!

I think it's a SIGN... I'm definitely in the right place at the right time!





Beautiful Outer Banks



Catching some Zzz's on the Ocracoke Ferry to Hatteras

Dad you would be so proud! I biked all the
Outer Banks in flip flops and shorts with sandy toes!
An Homage to You! 




2 comments:

  1. You are awesome!
    1000 Miles holy moly that's a long long time. Soooo proud of you babe.. Howards pub looks like it was pretty epic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still rocking the rainbows haha me too.. LOVE IT

    ReplyDelete